I started my mom on Quinoa after learning she is gluten intolerant. I’ll be honest, when I first tried it I can say it tasted like crap. Yuck..no flavor at all. I’ve been messing around in the kitchen to figure out what would actually make this grain have some taste so that she would actually like to eat it. It’s all in the sauce baby. Here is an easy dish to make and add proteins to that is great for a diabetic and gluten free diet as well as if you’re training for a race.
- 2 cups cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (can use roma tomatoes too)
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped (I love to put different types of olives into this dish, so have fun!)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (I love Mt. Vikos Barrel-Aged Feta at Whole Foods).
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon rock salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-2 pods garlic, diced
- Juice from a fresh lemon
Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
I add chopped up roasted chicken or flank steak into this dish and some chopped up cilantro on top for some added protein and flavor – and the dish becomes even more delicious. You can serve this on the side along with my Herb Marinated Leg of Lamb and Roasted Eggplant Dip.