Serves 6 to 8
- 2 1/2-pounds fryer chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (Tabasco or chipotle sauce is preferred)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and place in a casserole dish. In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, hot sauce, red chili powder and cilantro. Pour the buttermilk mixture over the chicken, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 2 hours.
Preheat a deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Into a large paper bag, measure the flour, cayenne, garlic, paprika, and salt and pepper. Shake off excess buttermilk mixture and place the chicken, a few pieces at a time, into the bake and shake to dredge. Place the chicken into the hot oil and fry until golden and crisp, about 8 to 10 minutes for white meat and 13 to 15 for dark meat. Remove from the fryer onto a paper towel lined sheet tray and season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with cilantro and lemon wedges.
Recipe courtesy ©2010 Sonia Hunt
Sonia’s Suggested Pairing: Mumm Napa Winery 2004 DVX Rosé