I love grilled cheese sammys. Growing up my dad made great ones (sorry Mom) even though his version was Stroehmann bread, Kraft singles with some butter and then carefully grilled. He always added a ‘twist’ which made us giggle in delight, like adding some spicy pickle relish with a little ham and thinly sliced tomato. Of course spicy tomato soup was always on the side. This was a ritual when winter set in on the East Coast and we came inside from throwing snowballs at each other.
Today my grilled cheese sammy palate is quite frankly, a snob. Especially now that I’ve discovered things like Black Truffle butter. Oh hell yes! This version is simple and simply scrumptious. Fills your tummy but could widen your tookus, so it’s not to be eaten often. Everything in moderation, my friends.
- Bread (Any bread you like is fine like Sourdough, Brioche or even sandwich bread)
- Havarti cheese
- Black Truffle Butter (buy online if not available in your local market)
- Softened unsalted butter
- Optional: grilled mushrooms, tomato slices or ham, strawberry preserve is amazing inside this!)
- Generously spread black truffle butter over one side of each slice of bread. Add cheese and optional ingredients. Lightly butter the outside of the sammy and cook over moderate heat until toasted and the cheese is melted (approx 2 minutes per side).
- Cut in half and serve right away. I love spicy tomato soup or Kosher dill pickles on the side – along with a 5mi run ;)